Back to Basics: What Is Network Monitoring?
At BlackStratus, we pride ourselves on our system’s comprehensive capabilities, including CYBERShark, our network activity monitoring software. But what is network security monitoring, and what does it mean for your business’ security?
What Is Network Monitoring?
Network monitoring is a term commonly used throughout IT fields. The term refers to a type of system that monitors computer networks for problems like slow or failing components. These include monitors, routers, firewalls, servers and even client systems and software — any of these components can slow down the system. If such issues are identified, the system alerts network administrators either directly or through a support line system, so they can address the problem as quickly as possible.
Key Network Monitoring Features
Network monitoring systems are designed to detect and report failures in devices and connections for the purpose of compliance and security maintenance. This involves several key functions, including:
- Monitoring Network Devices: Faulty network devices pose serious threats to networks. Everything from hardware issues and errors to high CPU usage can slow networks to a grinding halt. With a network monitoring system, these weaknesses can be quickly identified and rectified. Additionally, monitoring software can automatically add new devices, map your network topology and spot malicious activity.
- Network Alerts: If any issues are identified by the network monitoring system, alerts are automatically sent to the system’s support staff for verification. If the slowdown or threat is more than just a blip in the system, the staff will contact system administrators as soon as possible with all pertinent data.
- Network Reporting: On top of the actual system monitoring, network monitoring software can generate and share reports on findings. Systems like CYBERShark even offer report customization and automation abilities, so you can choose how and when reports are presented.
What Are the Benefits of Network Monitoring?
The benefits of network monitoring systems and their functions are extensive:
- Optimal Performance: By identifying slowdowns and problem areas and collecting performance data, network monitoring systems allow administrators to optimize a network’s performance, attacking problems as they happen and preventing future problems from developing.
- Minimized Risk: One of the big benefits of a network monitoring system is its ability to identify malicious behavior. Network monitoring systems can keep track of network threats, everything from unauthorized downloads to password changes, and flag any unusual behavior to ensure breaches can be identified and mitigated as quickly as possible.
- Maintained Compliance: Compliance with regulatory entities like HIPAA, ISO 27001 and PCI DSS is a big concern for many businesses. Many of these regulations require some form of network monitoring as both a best practice and security measure.
These benefits and more are offered by the CYBERShark system from BlackStratus. This scalable and flexible system can work with any business, integrating easily into existing workflows.
Get Started With BlackStratus
Choose a network monitoring system designed from the ground up to work with your system. Call us at 844-564-7876 or go online to request a demonstration.